About Me

My photo
One woman reinventing herself in the gray, glass jungle.

Monday, March 24, 2008

I (Don't) Have a Dream

Lately, I'm finding the treadmill and its running-to-nowhere metaphor a little too close to home.

For two weeks now I've stepped onto the belt, located Inside Edition, TMZ or another high-quality celebrity news show, increased the speed to my new target, dialed up On-the-Go playlist 10 (a choice blend of hardcore, classic rap, thrash metal and Brit rock) and attempted to hit the shit out of it. And every night, the same thing happens. About fifteen minutes in I decrease the speed and start walking. It happens before my mind even begins to waiver and the usual emotional walls pile up, brick on brick, burying me beneath them. Body trumps mind. Suddenly, I'm just walking. To nowhere.

I spent a lot of last week in a self-loathing stupor. After each workout I'd go a few rounds with my inner dominatrix and her humiliation stick, trying to figure out why I'm such an unaccomplished candy-ass. Emotional S & M always seems to work for me. After a bit of thrashing and trashing, I actually dug up a notion of value down there in the self-flaggelation swamp: I don't have any reason to run. Not really. Now, don't get me wrong, running feels good. In a bad way. And my secret Mistress Midnight loves that. Its payoff is so concrete -- the hurt to reward ratio a fine, exquisite line I'm constantly walking across on tiptoe. And for a time, its reliable drone and incessant pounding was good enough to keep me fighting the throb and ache. But I needed a carrot to chase. In November I found and trained for a race and that effort, the idea of finishing something in motion, became bigger than me. Seeing it loom there in distance made me want it in my hands to hold and feel the weight of and pocket forever. That image, the finish line, got me into running pants in the middle of a hoarde of healthy runners headed to the end.

I had a thing. A dream. I had a dream. Now I don't and I'm running to run. Well, really, I'm walking. And I'm not getting anywhere.

I think this might be what's happening in my off-the-belt life too. I haven't been able to figure out why I feel so plagued by sameness. There's plenty of change afoot but I can't shake the weight of routine. My mom asked me recently what my dream was. It feels cheeseball just writing a thing like that. But truthfully? I couldn't really answer with any authority. I told her I just wanted to eek out a living doing something I like, maybe raise a few kids and that's it.

What has happened that I don't have a dream? That's a disaster. Everyone wants to make a living doing something they like. That's not a dream. That's lowballing it because I a.) think I can't ask for more b.) don't think I'm up to it or c.) don't think it'll really happen so what's the fucking point? A dream is way bigger than making a living doing something I like. That's why it's called a dream instead of a potential outcome. A dream is what got me out of bed every day while I was washing dishes at Taco Bell in 1994. I saw New York City ablaze in my mind every minute of every day and I dreamed of being here. Hard.

I want to go one step further, though. I think it's important to posess a dream but a dream in and of itself is not enough. I think we should all be dreaming extravagantly. Otherwise, what's the incentive, really? Why fight for a potential outcome? Fights, like running, are only worth the throb and ache if the payoff is sensational. Even just the idea of extravagant dreaming teems with life and intensity. An extravagant dream is something you can adorn yourself with, touch and smell and hold like the estate jewel it is.

I'm not sure what my extravagant dream is yet because I've become too good at undoing dreams before they begin to float. But I'm sure when it starts to well up inside me it'll be ruby encrusted, fluid in organza and silk, shimmering like sunlight on rippling waves. Extravagant. And you can bet when I finally know it, I'll run my ass off to grab it.

6 comments:

D.C. Lutz said...

Wait a minute here. Are you saying I cannot dream of mediocrity? My yearning to be un accomplished, my song of stagnancy my epic battle to be happily unhappy is...well, not a dream at all. It is, in fact, my life...my cop out. This is quite a blow for a Tuesday Kate, quite a blow indeed.

Scylla said...

I am sorry you aren't feeling the dream, I know what you mean.

For the longest time I was fueled by my desire to be a lawyer, and now I am.

I am finding harder to be fueled by my desire to be working, than I was the desire to be a lawyer.

You are right though, your dream will be extravagant. I can't wait to see it!

Big Mike said...

What do you do when your dream changes every five minutes? I have been living life on somewhat of a schizophrenic treadmill myself. Is there a difference between goals and dreams? Does a dream become a goal when that said dream is achieved or was it always a goal? You've opened something here Mrs. Cox. And if you ever find yourself short on any dream let me know, I have enough delusions, dreams, wants and wishes to share with everyone.

Anonymous said...

We have a dream...now. It's just 3/4 of the way through day 6.

edd123 said...

"I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge. That myth is more potent than history. That dreams are more powerful than facts. That hope always triumphs over experience. That laughter is the only cure for grief. And I believe that love is stronger than death."
— Robert Fulghum (All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten)

Gustavo said...

Thank you. It is always nice to see that one is not alone "not having a dream". I think that we are the result of our culture, our society, our times. The lack of dreams is a sign of the ages, where,at least for me, hope becomes lost when the meaning of life is reduced to having and buying things, or being at the 'top of yor game". The "American dream" is only for those who have the resources and opportunities to afford it. I was lucky enough to come from a middle class family from South america who provided me with education and opportunities. Yet, I still feel empty inside. Western culture does not provide us with the tools to deal with the emptiness. Eastern cultures do a much better job. Anyway, I don't feel so lonely anymore "not dreaming". I think the ultimate dream is to be connected to something bigger than oneself... oops!, I guess I do have a dream...